Matriarchal Mead Fruit Cake:
This Fruitcake is a Family Heirloom we gladly pass unto you, made first by Our Grandmother for our mother because she doesn’t like heavy orange-bitty traditional fruit cakes. This fruit cake is light refreshing & moist.
- 4oz Glace Cherries, dried apricots (chopped) & ground almonds
- 120z Butter, Castor Sugar & plain flour, sultanas,
- 2oz crystallised ginger (chopped),
- 4 eggs (preferably Duck),
- 11/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- And 125ml of Superior sweet mead.
Firstly soak fruit overnight in mead first. Next day; Grease a 7 inch square cake tin, line with two sheets of greaseproof paper, brush/spray paper with grease or butter, beat butter & sugar till they’re creamy & fluffy, beat eggs & stir in gradually, then stir in the overnight mead soaked fruit & almonds, sift flour & baking powder folding into the mixture, fold mixture into the tin levelling the top with a spoon/spatula. Place in a cool pre-heated oven (140oC, 275oF, gasmark 1) leave 3 -31/2 hours or until cake is springy to the touch, cool in tin for 30mins then remove from tin and place on a wire rack. ENJOY!
Pink Grapefruit & Gooseberry Gin Sorbet:
- 100ml Pink Grapefruit & Gooseberry Gin each,
- 200ml Good Tonic,
- 100g Golden Castor Sugar,
- 1 Egg White.
Dissolve sugar in tonic on low heat, fridge the syrup, once cool mix in the gins, place in freezer till nearly frozen, take the egg white & beat frothy, quickly mix syrup with egg white then place in freezer till solid. (with machines follow instructions).